Healthcare Executive Coaching and Our Search Process
Healthcare executive coaching, partnership, communication, excellent execution and a very competitive fee structure are the foundation of our search process. We focus not only on the individual candidate, but also on the extended family unit during our process to ensure the most favorable, informed outcome.
We will coordinate an onsite visit to have conversations with selected key individuals with whom the successful professional will interact and to gain valuable insight into the culture, community and working environment. At the conclusion of our time together, we will review the results of our conversations, provide guidance and set dates for future meetings to update you on our progress.
Client Profile and Candidate Attributes
We will prepare a profile reflecting our perspective as a result of the site visit, the community, the position, and the desired attributes for the prospective professional, as well as the key operational, strategic, financial, and personnel challenges the successful candidate will need to address. Your input and approval will be solicited in finalizing this key document, which is very important to the healthcare executive coaching process in that, it:
- clarifies the information obtained on the site visit
- serves as a marketing instrument, which is shared with potential qualified candidates
- provides insights into the strategic challenges facing the potential candidates
- serves as a frame of reference for evaluating candidates as the process progresses
Recruiting and Sourcing
Based on specifications, we will devise a recruitment plan to attract excellent, qualified candidates. We pride ourselves on our comprehensive healthcare executive coaching and recruiting process. Our senior research associates recruit nationally, based on referrals, direct contact with potential candidates and centers of influence. Candidates recruited by our consultants and researchers are screened to identify those who best fit the specifications and will most interest you.
Our candidate sourcing process for most assignments will include at a minimum:
- Conferring with our own consulting professionals and their respective networks
- Database review and contact with potential candidates and sources from related prior searches
- Making our network of over 5,000 healthcare professionals aware of the opportunity
- Targeted cold calling/networking
- Targeted mailing/requests for candidate referrals
- Advertising and web postings on professional association sites such as ACHE, MGMA, HFMA, NRHA, ACPE, HIMSS, and others, as appropriate
- Networking and sourcing with key LinkedIn special interest groups
Diversity and Inclusion
Nagle & Associates is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform adequately, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, or any other characteristic protected by law. On each of our searches, we make our opportunities known to the Association of Hispanic Healthcare Executives (AHHE), National Association of Health Services Executives (NAHSE), AHA Diversity Connection, and others.
- After the initial review of potential candidates, we will personally interview all selected candidates and check their preliminary references.
- During the personal interview, we ascertain the candidate’s character, management style, interpersonal skills, goals, and other factors that would affect the potential match with your organization. For each specific search, we tailor selected interview questions so they are relevant to your operating and organizational circumstances.
- The final candidate dossiers include the curriculum vitae/resumes, comprehensive interview summary, information from the personality value and leadership assessment tools administered, information acquired through reference checks, verification of academic degrees, and additional background due diligence investigation. You will be pleased with the thoroughness of our candidate dossiers.
- During the course of our healthcare executive coaching process, we personally contact the spouses/significant others of our final candidates to ensure they and the family, are on board with a potential move. This also allows us to help our clients tailor the eventual follow up interview visits to best suit individual family needs.
Senior Leadership Personality and Management Inventory Assessment
We utilize and administer state-of-the-art assessment tools such as the Birkman Profile and the Hogan Personality Inventory to well-qualified candidates. The results will be interpreted by our executive coach, Ron Strieker, Ph.D. Different components of the assessments yield an in-depth evaluation of leadership competencies, potential career derailers, and individual values. They outline an individual’s day-to-day leadership style, including behavioral descriptions, leadership competencies, and comprehensive development recommendations; predict potential career-derailing behaviors that can be the result of high stress or challenging work situations; and explore a person’s core values and goals, which ultimately dictate a leader’s emphasis on working with others and the type of environment a leader will create. The assessments predict individual fit with a career, team, and organization. They also provide guidance on how to quickly become effective at providing guidance to and managing the chosen executive. The assessment tools we utilize are both valid and interpretable.
- We will work with you to schedule interviews on site.
- We can work with you to prepare interview questions if desired.
- Depending on the position, follow-up interviews usually take place over a two-day period and are scheduled with the remaining candidates who are usually accompanied by their spouses.
References and Supplemental Due Diligence Investigation
- Our first references are those supplied by the candidates. At each stage, additional references may be required and inquiries made as appropriate.
- We believe that our reference checks are among the most thorough in the industry, focusing on both strengths and weaknesses. We make sure our candidates’ references are knowledgeable about the position prior to giving the reference.
- In addition to our reference checking, our supplemental due diligence includes the following:
- KwikScreen (Nationwide Criminal History Search)
- Credit History
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Education Verification
- Professional Credential Verification
- OIG Exclusion
- SEC Database Search
Should the chosen candidate be a physician, additional due diligence would include medical degree verification, internship and residency verification, FACIS, DEA, etc.
Negotiation and Conclusion
Typically, the final negotiations are anticlimactic. Our search process is designed to recruit leaders who are eager about the position. We work diligently and expeditiously with you to avoid prolonged negotiations.
Executive Coaching and Follow-Up
On selected senior leadership searches (C-Suite, SVP, etc.), our Executive Coach, Ron Strieker, Ph.D., will work with the newly hired executive to effectively facilitate the individual’s assimilation into the culture quickly. Through this healthcare executive coaching process, the newly hired executive will be able to:
- understand the expectations of the new position and the most effective means of communicating with the different key stakeholders who have a vested interest in the success of the organization, including board members, physician leadership, and the leadership team
- assimilate the new culture quickly
- develop a 90-day action plan that addresses staff capabilities, organizational challenges, and personal needs
- lead the organization effectively within their full range of responsibility and receive ongoing objective feedback to goals
If you employ a candidate recommended by Nagle & Associates and he/she is terminated or resigns within twelve (12) months, we will recruit another candidate at no charge except for out-of-pocket expenses associated with the new search, which would include travel, research, advertising, etc. There would be no professional fee billings.